Moving house or renting? You will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

What is a Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

EPC’s tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes generally have lower fuel bills and are in band A. The average property in the UK however falls within bands D-E. The Certificate also indicates on a scale of A-G the dwellings impact on the environment. The better the rating, the lesser the impact will be on the environment through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions. The Certificate also includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to help the environment and also to save money for the consumer by decreasing energy bills.

Only fully Accredited Energy Assessors (DEA’s) who hold the qualification (DipDEA) can produce EPCs. RGP have membership with and can produce your EPC through the Elmhurst Energy Accreditation Scheme. The Scheme ensures that the Accredited Energy Assessor produces EPCs in accordance with Government guidelines with structured monitoring procedures.

When do I need an EPC?

EPCs are legally required for any building that is to be put on the market for sale or for rental purposes. It is the responsibility of the building owner to ensure that an EPC is available to prospective purchasers and tenants although this is often undertaken by estate agents as part of a sales/rental package.

How long are EPCs valid for?

Energy Performance Certificates are valid for ten years unless the energy status of the property has changed. This could include the provision of an extension or improvements to the energy efficiency of the building for example a replacement boiler.